Welcome!

Thank you for joining us as we wait on the LORD. We will post new information here as we have it to help us keep all of you who have asked informed of the latest news.

Thursday, September 8, 2011

If It Ain't One Thing, It's Another

I did not appreciate some of the finer points of Saturday Night Live until well past it's prime (my opinion of it's prime only). While many in my school could and would recite the weekend's episode during the following week, I was clueless and didn't really get all the hubbub. Even now, if I watch an old episode, I smile at the clothes, laugh at the hair styles, and maybe a gag or two, but the impression left by those that made up the original Not Ready For Prime Time Players still escapes me today.

I only share that because so much of what passes as sound bites now are commandeered into our culture. Once locked there, there is a continuous use for as much laugh as can be gained. Thus we are somewhat insulated from nearly everything, if we should want that. This can be good, but more often not, when in our relationships, we much prefer our survivability, sometimes at the other's expense. One rapid jump to humor in it's biting form (sarcasm, satire) in our closest dealings and protection and preservation of self is now the goal.

What about the other? Isn't there a responsibility for them? Yes, beginning with the command to love your neighbor as yourself, but their are other such admonishments.

I might've mentioned my unqualified fear that once radiation was complete tomorrow, that we would find the medication isn't enough to manage the pain with further adjustment. My anxiety is that would impact Georgetown again. Firstly, all of that is just me and my fear. There is no evidence that can lead to such a result. But I have been increasingly aware of sensations that I had thought were tied to the pain in my hips. So I asked Dr Altemus. After assurances that what I was describing could not be the action of cancer, she looked back into my pretty thick file. There, on the MRI report from June: Degenerative Disc Disease.

We do finish with radiation on September 8. We will be meeting with Dr Pishvaian or Dr Hwang at Georgetown on Monday or Tuesday. They may order labs so we can see any change to the liver (originally before the edit was "lover") enzyme that disqualified me earlier. I believe, though, this will be more of a consult visit to determine possible options for the way ahead.

Thank you, Roseanne Roseannadanna. You're correct that it is always something. And even our planning, scheming, plotting, and preparation gets thwarted simply because we lack the one course that truly can make a difference in it all: faithful, obedient prayer and response to God. We still live that it must be us to make it through, to prove ourselves and gain his favor. The difference we can bring is a broken, contrite heart, softened (by God) to be his for his purpose, the first point being love for others.

Open our eyes, Lord, to see the work before us. Break us to be teachable and moldable for you and your work to your kingdom's ever sure increase. Empty us of our self-loving, guard us by your spirit against our selves when we feel inadequate. Empower us with your grace and mercy, that those we meet see you and your love for them. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment