But who is counting? Apparently I am, to quote A favorite line from Disney's "Rocketman." This movie, along with "The Princess Bride," was recommended by a friend I have not heard from for nearly nine years. Both movies are reasonably good, although in a different manner. I also like a few of the follow up movies from the folks who acted in "The Princess Bride:" "Best In Show" (not recommended for children), and "A Mighty Wind" (also not one I would recommend for kids). Possibly a little known fact about my favorite actor from "The Princess Bride" Mandy Patinkin (Inigo Montoya), is that he is also an accomplished tenor and stage actor.
"Rocketman" follows the unlikeliest of astronauts, chosen because of a series of events that renders him the only one possible to take the place of an injured astronaut on a mission to Mars. "The Princess Bride" is the telling of a love story, by an uncle to his sick nephew. The uncle puts his nephew at ease from the dismay at being read a love story with kissing when be tells him the story is filled with pirates, danger, fighting, and a giant.
But enough about silly movies. This morning I believe I witnessed one of the most beautiful sunrises ever. Clouds later obscured most of the sky, so the sunrise was more special for that. Such a site causes me to praise God the creator for his wonderful creation, corrupted though it is, it is clear that restoration is in full swing and nothing we do can alter that. I liked the cloudy day as well for it highlights God's perfection in providing all necessary to sustain his creation through a myriad of changing patterns operated according to his laws.
There is no doubt in my mind that a spectacle such as this morning's sunrise is part of the creation praising God, in the fashion of "rocks crying out." And it confirms for me that God is ever present near his own, causing us to pause just so we can see his evidence of his manifested work to point to the work he has accomplished for our salvation.
Could anything be more beautiful and humbling that God would choose to leave his heavenly glory to come to man as a baby, taking on a body just as you or me, but living in complete obedience to the Father? At the appointed time, Jesus begins his ministry of inaugurating the Kingdom of Heaven, the kingdom without end, and the kingdom where he is reigning at the Father's right hand even now. All that Jesus did in his discourses and signs was to illustrate, even demonstrate what the kingdom is like. And he provided a good look at what his true followers look like, what distinguishes his flock from the wicked. He told us how to have relationship with The Triune God through belief in the Son, belief that comes from a repentant heart softened by God to recognize the depth of our sin, and the encompassing love of God.
What beauty is demonstrated in the persevering sanctification that the Holy Spirit works in us? This preparing to perfection is long, slow and not easy for it requires a daily death of us. The death of our old nature, a killing of our desires so that his desires become all to us out of love for what he has done to secure our salvation. What joy is found in daily submitting by his grace to the life to which we are called, even when there is suffering for a while?
Another thing of beauty is the music this time of year. Our choir director always picks beautiful, challenging music for our Christmas Concert and Christmas Eve services. A few years ago, amidst the John Rutter pieces, and other carols, we performed a piece by a composer that touched me very significantly. The piece is "Night of Dreams," composed by Valerie Crescenz and published in 2006 by Oxford University Press. The words describe "that night," the night of Jesus' birth as experienced through the circumstances and dreams of six men. The piece is one of my favorites as it has been since we first rehearsed it. A very nice piece, Ms. Crescenz.
I should apologize, for I began this post two days ago, and have delayed it's completion for various reasons, but I do thank you for your patience. Since Thursday, I am now experiencing some more heartburn-like sensations when I eat or drink, and also a sore mouth that hurts to eat. So while I enjoy eating, and even though my sense of taste has diminished, I get through one helping and then I have to stop. Despite this, I (we) continue to enjoy the wonderful meals that many have been providing to us each and every treatment day. I have so enjoyed being able to meet those the Cynth knows that I don't, and the visits with all (that I've been home in time for) have been salve for my spirit. Thank you to all.
Thursday, we enjoyed Holtzman's Tomato Basil soup, Italian bread, salad and lemon cookies.
Friday, we dined on Kyle pork roast in maple and fried apples, new potatoes, salad and scrumptious brownies.
And today we feasted on Watkins' Brunswick stew and homemade biscuits. Delicious.
No comments:
Post a Comment