Welcome!

Thank you for joining us as we wait on the LORD. We will post new information here as we have it to help us keep all of you who have asked informed of the latest news.

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Twenty Days Remaining

No, not shopping days, nor days until Christmas Eve or Christmas Day. Twenty days left until the Winter Solstice. Now, before you think Greg has gone off the reservation and started marking time with some far fetched ideas, I want to assure you that my interest in the shortest day of the year is just that. I have always liked this time of year (no more or less than any other time of year - just ask my wife) and this was heightened during my days at Nav school and during my first assignment, especially during those eight hour night navigation sorties flying a northern track to Montana, and occasionally seeing the Aurora Borealis.

I like it as much for the "end" it represents (for me, at least) to the "dying" of Fall as for the "beginning" it represents for new life. It is that long night (14 hours, 10 minutes, 18 seconds, to be precise) that I have always seen as the representative for the "long winter's nap" line from the poem, "A Visit From St. Nicholas," better known from it's opening line, "'Twas the Night Before Christmas," authored by Clement Clarke Moore or Henry Livingston, Jr., depending on who you believe. I had at one time, and likely still possess a book of this verse, first published by the Troy, New York Sentinel on December 23, 1823.

If I still have a copy, it is likely tattered mostly from it's age, but also from my constant reading it as a child. I must have read it dozens of times as a child. Sadly, I don't know if my children have ever heard the poem. I say sadly, because there is something of a child's wonderment in the beautiful language of the poem. And despite the "adultness" of this season (gift buying, event planning, preparation, etc.) I bet most if not all of us approach Christmas with some degree of our inner child.

As a child . . . This is how we approach the coming of Jesus. Complete trust in the promises of God because he is truth and faithful in what he says, bright-eyed awe of the love that would bring the Holy One to live among us and die in obedience to satisfy his holy justice, and abiding trust to follow him daily as his child and heir being sanctified by his Spirit. God's word refers many times to those who believe and trust God daily as his children. Jesus said, "Truly, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven."

This Advent season, may you participate in his coming as a child, free of the encumbrances of the effects of this world, immersed in the awe and wonder of a babe born in Bethlehem to live among us as one of us, but announced as the One who will take away our sin.

Today we began treatment number eleven. Bob is back in the house and all our blood count was good. But the best news was the report of Monday's scan: the two larger liver lesions have decreased in size, one by a half centimeter, the other nearly a full centimeter.  The remaining smaller lesions (measuring less than 1cm "are not as well visualized as on the prior study." I take this to mean that these too have decreased in size.  The report goes on to say there is no new mass identified.  Lastly, there has been no change in the lesion on the L1 vertebral body.

We are happy with this report.  We see in it answer to prayer, much prayer. We have our twelfth treatment scheduled and a follow-up with the oncologist on December 29.  We anticipate hearing about further chemo treatment plans or other options at that time.  If I had to guess, I would expect more chemo.

Regardless, God is good.  He has allowed me this journey to show himself ever faithful, ever present, and ever true.  In this season of hurry, hurry, hurry, we are at peace, even though we do experience the occasional valley of frustration.  We have not given in to the Deceiver, who wants our destruction, but we are holding fast to our God. As is my good friend Hugh.

Please add Hugh to your list of folks you are praying for, that God will show the purpose for his present suffering, that the report he is to get Thursday will return him to some mobility so he can be free of his basement office to rejoin us at worship. Lastly for all these I've mentioned, please pray that God would visit them (us) with his grace, mercy and peace.

May God fill you lavishly with his loving presence as you persevere each day.

Tonight, a special treat: for a school project, Chicken Marengo, spaghetti squash and rolls from the hands and work of "Nicole," (aka RC Davenport).

No comments:

Post a Comment