Since today was the first Sunday in Advent, we commenced what has been a tradition in our family since around 1994 or 1995. It was around that time that Cynth and I purchased a book of Advent readings, one for each Sunday in Advent following a specific theme relating to the candles of the Advent wreath, and one for each day between the Sundays, each focusing on a particular part of redemption. Our children have enjoyed the readings, even after hearing them so often. We've only missed this on a few occasions, most recently last year when Cynth's dad was sick.
This year, we began not with the book we bought so many years ago, but with readings developed by a good friend. His resource is A Covenantal Lectionary. At the beginning of the booklet, he discussed the real need we have to observe Christmas rightly, looking back at its origins in the second and third centuries AD, the heresies that led to the observance of Advent and Christmas, and an admonishment to think on the significance of Christ's First Advent in expectation of his Second Advent. Tonight, this provided a wonderful beginning to Advent, reminding us again that God made the promise to Adam, to Abraham, to Judah and to the nation of Israel for God's deliverer.
Isaiah said that "those who dwelt in a land of deep darkness, on them a light has shined." Jesus said "I am the light of the world." And we are to be light to the world, but we cannot - of ourselves - be light. God alone brings light to pierce the darkness of our souls, and he dwells within, pushing the darkness out and filling us with his marvelous light. Then we can be that light that Jesus said we are to be in Matthew, chapter 5.
A wonderful day today at worship. Reconnected with many whom I have missed since being away. God continues to bless me with good days, though I still get tired and I have been experiencing a few more odd little things (leg/feet cramps at night, dry mouth, sweats, and now a little bit of difficulty with my hands getting numb and sometimes cramping also). Just irritants, but otherwise I have no cause to complain. I believe that God is working in me to his purpose, and for that I am grateful. As Paul wrote in his Second Epistle to the Corinthians, "If we are afflicted, it is for your comfort and salvation; and if we are comforted, it is for your comfort, which you experience when you patiently endure the same sufferings that we suffer."
I encourage you, if you do not already do so, to begin an observance of these days leading to Christmas, so that the truth of the coming of God to earth as a man will radically change your understanding of this gift.
No comments:
Post a Comment