Bob-less. No chemo this week. Dr Felice is concerned about the supposed infected sinuses and what may be cellulitis (the redness, hot-to-the-touch, sore upper left arm and the rash that appears to have sprung from it). There is also the possibility that the sinuses are not infected, but possible abscesses at the root of a few teeth may be causing similar symptoms. So I am now armed with yet stronger antibiotics, and we are to radio back to the doc on Friday to tell him either that we are making progress, or that the infection is getting worse. We are poised to begin treatment number ten (I have been corrected) next week, provided that we get this infection evicted.
To me this feels like a set-back. Remember that I wanted to move the treatment that wouldn't fallen on Thanksgiving week to the week prior (that would have been next week) essentially giving me two treatments back-to-back. Funny how this worked out. Now, if the infection is reigned in, I will get the schedule I wanted, just not the way I wanted and still I will have missed a treatment. Oh well, doctor knows best, so it is said.
Kind of reminds me of just hanging around. During my periods of feeling not completely up to par, I will sometimes answer "hanging in there." Hanging in there, as if to suggest that presence, being is enough for the moment. It leads one to believe the one making the such a statement is simply responding to whatever factors or variables that come their way.
This is not at all a right attitude. God, through the "weeping" prophet encourages the exiled Judeans to "Build houses and live in them; plant gardens and eat their produce.
Take wives and have sons and daughters; take wives for your sons, and give your daughters in marriage, that they may bear sons and daughters; multiply there, and do not decrease.
But seek the welfare of the city where I have sent you into exile, and pray to the LORD on its behalf, for in its welfare you will find your welfare." (Jeremiah 29:5-7)
God intends that we be actively involved in the increase, prosperity, if you will, of the "community" where he has placed us. Further, God warns the exiles against the deceptions of their own prophets and diviners. We too must develop discernment to hear God, and reject the lies of the world, even the ones we tell ourselves concerning our hearts, circumstances, or God himself. God tells them of his plan for them, even to the inclusion of a time line. Then he says "Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will hear you. You will seek me and find me, when you seek me with all your heart." (verses 12,13)
I felt like Jonah today. God has so amply provided for us, that I assumed that I would have treatment today, and the "withering vine" upset my world, even though I had done nothing to provide the treatments. I had, for a moment, forgotten God and his faithfulness to provide for our every need. Jonah didn't call out to God as he whined about the vine, yet God instructed Jonah in his mercy and grace.
I want to be as Paul urges, one who, ". . . by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship." (Romans 12:1) Finally, I pray to ". . . not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect." (verse 2)
Chicken pesto pasta, corn & cucumber medley, Caesar salad, and Artisan Renaissance Grain Bread did not Tucker us out tonight.
God bless.
No comments:
Post a Comment