Monday, back at work after a three day weekend. The first day back after a holiday is always a little rough, but today was actually okay. Slow by most standards, but that's good sometimes because I can get things accomplished on other projects. I just don't have anything else going on at the moment. So without additional things to take care of at work, I spend time taking care of the immediate requirements, and thinking about how God has been and continues to work in our lives. This means I also spend a little time thinking about the cancer.
There are moments when I am surprised by the thought, "I have cancer.". But mostly I have friends that stop by wanting to talk about how I am doing. I give them as much information as they want about my condition, and then describe how God in his faithfulness has provided for everything from before the diagnosis. I describe how God is evident in dealing with others around me through these circumstances, for I can see definent signs of growth, most of all in me.
I know that some will believe that there is a point to which a Christian grows when growth then ceases. The believer has, in a sense, arrived. I agree, but the question is when is that point? Those who believe in this milemarker would say it varies from person to person. Again I agree. I just believe that from new birth in Christ until the physical death of our bodies we are in a constant pattern of growth and stagnation that ends with our body's physical death.
The growth and stagnation might be understood as coinciding with mountain top experiences when we feel paricularly close to God . . . all is right with the world, things for us are going well, and there is seemingly not a care in the wide world. I believe that the Bible does affirm mountain top experiences as moments when we might sense God's blessings, but I further believe that we are taught that our largest sustained growth in faith and trust in Christ and his promises come from time in the valley. Consider David, Job, Abraham, Issac and many others who have "cursed the darkness" yet trusted in God for deliverance in the midst of extremely difficult times, according to his will.
I don't mean to put us on par with David and the others, just to illustrate that all will suffer somewhere between birth and glory. And as so many have illustrated through their lives and testimony, it is possible, by keeping our eyes fixed on Jesus and our sure inheritance as children of the Most High, that these present temporary afflictions are nothing to compare without the riches that wait.
It is Tuesday evening now and after a pretty full day at work, I am so ready to be done. We've a nice dinner planned with Megan's folks which will be relaxing. A visit with Dr. Felice tomorrow (possibly a new magic trick), and we'll know his thoughts about future treatment. Then a partial day Thursday (having worked so mmay hours already) and then another three-day weekend. Bowl games abound and we have to get back to Lost (beginning to have withdrawals) then there is the rest of M*A*S*H, and the original Hawai'i Five-0.
Our prayers and praises continue for your steadfast persevering prayers for us as well as all those I've mentioned before.
No comments:
Post a Comment