This morning on the way to worship, Cynth asked if I was still having pain. Unfortunately the answer is still yes, but there are qualifiers. In most regards the pain has decreased to a manageable level. By that I mean that when I get in front of the pain, and so long as I don't make any breakdancing moves, I won't have any pain. Anything other than that and I am due for at least some twinges.
So it's Independence Day. Happy 235th, America! I always pause to think about the extraordinary steps that were taken by men who believed that something greater than themselves compelled them to action. Their days were filled with choices. Any one of them could've made decisions affecting the outcome; some did. But even those decisions were scrapped eventually when compromise rendered an acceptable course.
Compromise seems to go hand in hand with choices these days. Compromise isn't always a bad thing, but it does often resulting in unintended consequences. Most often we go through our lives, compromising our faith instead of shoring up against the tide. When finally we begin to hold fast, we gain strength for the next opportunity. Prayer emboldens us, and acknowledgement that Christ left his glory behind to take on human form in humility, he did not compromise.
Compromise is he short way around the track. It leaves something vital to our growth in Christ out of our walk. By our compromise, we try to have both the righteous king and our way. Uncompromising faith is the cure to this our flawed method of choosing. We cannot compromise the terms of our salvation: full, contrition-fueled repentance, and a heart for loving as God loved.
Choices made when prayer and steadfast faith are the guiding principles is difficult but equipping, empowering. As the line in the hymn goes,"Strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow, Blessings all mine with ten thousand beside."
Happy Independence Day!
No comments:
Post a Comment