Welcome!

Thank you for joining us as we wait on the LORD. We will post new information here as we have it to help us keep all of you who have asked informed of the latest news.

Friday, July 1, 2011

Who's That Singing?

I am not superstitious, but I am a little hesitant to announce that today was a really good day, a day relatively pain "free." I put that in quotes because there was moderate discomfort and, at times, a twinge, though I wouldn't say it was sharp. This morning was a little odd anyway.

Ordinarily I am already feeling hungry when I get up and begin getting ready for work, but since we try to eat breakfast all together at work, I can hold it off until I get there and everyone is ready. Today, however, I didn't have any hunger feeling, and as soon as I had my oatmeal prepared and joined my officemates, this wave of nausea swept over me, complete with beginning sweat and activated saliva.

So I parked my self in the men's room around the corner from my office and waited. A couple of small belches later, and the feeling passed. I am glad I didn't go to the nurse's station for the nausea just to belch and feel suddenly better! The remainder of the morning was uneventful, except for the occasional twinge occurring when I would move like I normally would when nothing is wrong.

Rachael on the Right
Rachael in the Center







If I may, I'd like to brag. My little girl, in this her first Summer dance intensive with the American Ballet Theater of New York, earned a spot in the second highest placement class. I don't know ballet or dance beyond a smidge of Shag (naturally) and square dancing (not quite so naturally), but I know what is beauty. And this side of eternity, in a worldly sense, when we find beauty we want to experience it to the fullest. When Rachael and her dance academy or her dance company perform there is beauty.

I have to keep my enthusiasm in check when I am complimenting her, for I am afraid of what constant praise might affect her. I think of the years gone by, and how often I have seen her dance. I know a little something of the work she puts into dancing. But the pride I have for her is not felt because of her work put into dance, nor is it because there is beauty in her dance. I am proud of her because she is my daughter. I am equally proud of Caleb and Aaron because they are my sons.

We can be proud of our children like this, just because, without any reason to be so. And when they get into trouble, make poor decisions, face consequences of their actions, we turn our back to them because we cannot believe they would be so whatever, right? Wrong! Disappointment is tough to live with, and we parents can make it all the tougher by laying on our own disappointment, letting that fester to a scourge ready to unleash, or just by laying on the guilt.

God demonstrates how we are to respond. We receive them back into our heart, we put our "robe" on them, and we have a party to welcome them back. I realize I am taking a few liberties with the illustration, but stick with me, please. All of us, each and every one, rebels against God, although his law is written on our hearts and he has revealed himself to us so that we are "without excuse."

Our rebellion causes separation here, and the risk of eternal separation if we persist in our rebellion and do not come to know, love and honor him as lord and savior. Yet while we are rebels against God, even as we are named as his enemies, he loves us. He loves us such that he provides the sacrifice that by faith enables us to be reconciled to him. By his grace this is freely given, so that our sin once forgiven cannot any longer separate us from God. When we agree with God, confessing our sinful ways and repent, he clothes us with (Christ's) righteousness, and gives us the assurance of the hope we have in eternity with him at his table.

We are his "prized possession," his "treasure." He delights in us, he rejoices over us. From Zephaniah 3:17, "The LORD your God is in your midst, a mighty one who will save; he will rejoice over you with gladness; he will quiet you by his love; he will exult over you with loud singing." He died for us. He died for us so that we might live eternally with him. What an awesome God we serve. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment