Saturday after the chemo disconnect and what a good day! Started off with attending our Brother's In Christ breakfast - great food, awesome fellowship, and an inspired and inspiring message. At the conclusion, they wanted to pray for me, so I provided an update to where things are now. I was a real as ever, talking about the fears, but also the rejoicing at the opportunities to share God and the wonderful things Cynth and I see him doing in this. I had a brother on each side of me, arms around each other, while prayer was offered up for strength, peace and healing for me, Cynth, and the children.
After returning home, I cooked breakfast for Aaron, something of a ritual now. Eggs, bacon, and a bagel thin. Then we watched as our Tigers from Clemson payed well, but not well enough against #16 Miami. Rather disappointing, but it is, after all, a game. I must admit, though, for a Clemson fan whose blood, during this time of year, runs orange it is tough tot have these losses that could have easily been a win. But in the immortal words from Scarlett, tomorrow is another day.
It is funny how we allow our moods to swing, often according to what we deem to be favorable things as determined by us. We certainly do have the capacity to discern good things, but even that ability is flawed, and what we ascribe to be good is most often decided by our desires. We talk much about the good of others, making others comfortable, doing for others to bring happiness or relief.
But is our motivation all that pure? How often might we seek to serve out of a sense of obligation rather than a genuine desire to serve just because the need is great? I am as guilty of this as anyone, but I find that if I allow god to take control of the matter, am I changed in the process and find true fulfillment in the uncorrupted service for others. Ultimately, I find it is good simply to let go of my selfishness that really enslaves me and just allow God to useme as his instrument of his mercy and grace.
As he tells us in Micah, chapter 6: "With what shall I come before the LORD, and bow myself before God on high? Shall I come before him with burnt offerings, with calves a year old? Will the LORD be pleased with thousands of rams, with ten thousands of rivers of oil? Shall I give my firstborn for my transgression, the fruit of my body for the sin of my soul? He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?"
We need to learn to see good as God sees it, which also will help us see evil, wickedness, lawlessness as God sees it. And that will help us speak the truth to a world that needs to meet Jesus. May you be encouraged to seek to see through God's eyes what is good and right. Amen.
De Jong BBQ beef, noodles, corn, and dream whip pie, a delicious meal for Friday night.
No comments:
Post a Comment