Welcome!

Thank you for joining us as we wait on the LORD. We will post new information here as we have it to help us keep all of you who have asked informed of the latest news.

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Sufficient for All Things

Spring has sprung. A few thunderstorms boomed across NoVA (our term of endearment for this portion of the Mid-Atlantic). This morning, lightning flashed across the northwestern sky as a gentle storm bore down on my office. It reminded me of many mornings arriving at the squadron to prepare to fly. How I miss those days . . . not the travel, mind you, just the flying. I think there is a great lesson in the fact that clouds only extend so far, that there is sunshine above the clouds.

Maybe this is why I have come to enjoy rainy days as much as sunny days. As a kid, rain always interrupted. It cancelled ball games, playing outside, picnics and other such events. Maybe getting older, and changing priorities changed my view. But I am starting to look for lessons like this throughout my life, knowing that nothing is by chance, but out of God's wisdom and grace. Like many, I just have not been as awake as I thought I once was.

We still kick against what is best for us. We don't want to slow down, rest, grow, be challenged, be disciplined. We don't want to submit to another, whether God or someone close to us. We still want to be our own master, to determine for ourselves what is best for us. The reasons or motivation varies to meet the particular need of the moment. Even more problematic is the necessity to construct the charade denying that we really do want rest. We like to be challenged to improve (how many self-help programs do we need?). The over-arching problem is the complete, total subjugation of self to God.

Look at Job. Not entirely self-serving, he did submit to God's pleasure for his condition, even if he felt his situation was unjustified. We converse about God's sovereignty, about how he is bigger than our needs, but then we allow discouragement to swoop down upon us at the first sign of difficulty. It is much later, if at all, before we acknowledge God's goodness in those specific "clouds." Thinking through this, I am now reminded of a hymn that answers the question asked by Louisa M. R. Stead, "Who is sufficient for these things?"

’Tis so sweet to trust in Jesus,
And to take Him at His Word;
Just to rest upon His promise,
And to know, “Thus says the Lord!”

Jesus, Jesus, how I trust Him!
How I’ve proved Him o’er and o’er
Jesus, Jesus, precious Jesus!
O for grace to trust Him more!

O how sweet to trust in Jesus,
Just to trust His cleansing blood;
And in simple faith to plunge me
’Neath the healing, cleansing flood!

Yes, ’tis sweet to trust in Jesus,
Just from sin and self to cease;
Just from Jesus simply taking
Life and rest, and joy and peace.

I’m so glad I learned to trust Thee,
Precious Jesus, Savior, Friend;
And I know that Thou art with me,
Wilt be with me to the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment