Welcome!

Thank you for joining us as we wait on the LORD. We will post new information here as we have it to help us keep all of you who have asked informed of the latest news.

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Potter and Clay

First day after completion of radiation therapy and still there is pain. Not like before, but there is pain. The radiation therapy folks looked at me kind of funny whenever I told them that the degree of pain depended on the day and time, on what I just did. It's true, though. Apart from the pain I now have in my abdomen, my back is not really hurting. But when I get up off this bed, it will hurt like nothing else.

In the miracles or signs that Jesus did, the person involved only had to exercise faith in obedience to Jesus' command. Reading the accounts, we don't appreciate the radical nature of the dialogue. But these were asked to do something that they would have never imagined in this exchange with the Teacher. Then again, his teachings were radical, especially for a people oppressed.

How does the Spirit minister to me now? If I don't experience the "radicalness" of God's revelation, it might be that I am not experiencing the fullness of the Spirit. Faith in God, belief in Jesus, and giving myself - my whole self - over to Christ is a radical notion, precisely because it goes against all that is pushed by the world, and especially this culture. The radical call to follow is extended to all. Are you a radical?

I'll admit that day after day I am humbled by the depths to which my sin goes. God lovingly shows me where I need him to take over ownership and put his claim on me. He points out idols I have yet to let go of, and shows himself merciful during the process of pulling those weeds. He continues to give me opportunity to share his love, hopefully seeding the soil of someone's heart.

This, I believe, is my calling in this circumstance. This is why I write, and ask that you share this with those you know in need of encouragement. I hope there are those who don't yet know God who are reading and thinking about what this all can mean.

I intend to be faithful to use this space to say that even at our best we still are sinners, rebelling against God who created all things, and we were created for relationship with him. But our drive to go our own way is active rebellion against him and is the cause for so much hurt in this world. God was not content to leave us in that situation so he took on flesh to live with man as man, except without sin. Having lived a sinless life he was acceptable as the sacrifice for our sins, taking the wrath due us to satisfy God's justice, and cleansing us from our sin.

Then he was raised from the dead, leaving an empty tomb, and providing reconciliation for us to God and an assurance of eternal life in God's new heaven and new earth, perfect, the way God intended it to be. We can begin toward that perfectness by submitting entirely to God and his will. He is the potter, I am the clay.

No comments:

Post a Comment