Welcome!

Thank you for joining us as we wait on the LORD. We will post new information here as we have it to help us keep all of you who have asked informed of the latest news.

Monday, June 20, 2011

Promises, Promises

Sunday. A great day of worship. The message described the man God seeks: glad men, men of grace, men of committment and courage. An appropriate lesson for Father's Day. Today was a beautiful day, just a threat of storms that turned out to be just a threat. Caleb had come home for a visit since Thursday evening. He had planned to visit before beginning work June 20. It was good to see him. I am still having some back pain, and that sometimes is translated to my pelvis. One more day of radiation, then a follow-up with Dr Felice Wednesday.

So many people still tell me that I look good, that you couldn't tell that I have cancer. To tell the truth I almost forget myself, and could easily, if it weren't for some reminders. Most prominent to me, and likely the one item that brings the reality of my cancer with a brutal force is my port. The little triangle that sits just under my skin on my right side just below the clavicle is likely the single most tangible thing the I identify with this disease. Only occasionally does it get in the way of an itch or a wash cloth. And I surely know when it does get in the way.

So it is real, as real as the port in my chest. For our faith, God has also given tangible things to give assurances of the veracity of his revelation. First, we have all of nature, doing as it was designed to do and giving witness to his majesty and power. We have the law, attesting to his holiness. Next, baptism declares his covenant promise to be our God and we being his people. Then the Lord's Supper to remind us of our constant need for him and the hope we have for eternal life. "For all the promises of God find their Yes in him. That is why it is through him that we utter our Amen to God for his glory." 2 Corinthians 1:20

No comments:

Post a Comment