Welcome!

Thank you for joining us as we wait on the LORD. We will post new information here as we have it to help us keep all of you who have asked informed of the latest news.

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Day 15 - "Bob" is Back In Town

1976 was a pivotal year.  It was the year that I broke out of listening to mostly Top 40 (soft pop and easy listening) and Oldies radio ('50's and early '60's).  I suddenly found way more interesting music - Kansas just released Leftoverture and "Carry On Wayward Son," Thin Lizzy released Jailbreak and "The Boys Are Back In Town."  For a few years I had enjoyed listening to early Grand Funk Railroad (On Time), Chicago (remember Chicago Transit Authority?and Chicago II), Santana ("Evil Woman"), Kool & The Gang ("Jungle Boogie"), Blood, Sweat and Tears ("Spinning Wheel", "You've Made Me So Very Happy") when we would visit my Aunt Christine and Uncle Sam.  After a few minutes I would go to my cousin Tony's room (away in the National Guard) and play his records.  (Now before you think I'm off my nut, I had an uncle (Edward by name, but he was affectionately known as "Runt" - another story) who would infuse me with gospel records - The Rambos, The Le Feveres, The Blue Ridge Quartet, and even a young upstart group called the Oak Ridge Quartet, just to name a few.  We would also go (on occasion) to an all night gospel sing at the Greenville (SC) Memorial Auditorium.  And just to make sure I cover all the influences, my mom accompanied our church choir (which I joined once I was of age) and played both piano and organ.  It is through her that I gained a love of classical music and many of the forerunners of what would later become Contemporary Christian Music.  My apologies for such a long lead in, but if you've stayed with it so far, I will try very hard not to disappoint.
There is a group that takes popular music and rewrites the lyrics to tell Biblical truths.  Apologetix (http://www.apologetix.com/) parodies classic rock, country alternative, disco, and rap to tell stories from Bible.  A couple of examples:  The Beatles "Twist and Shout" becomes "Twins Came Out" about Jacob and Esau; Metallica's "Enter Sandman" becomes "Enter Samson" about the final hours of Samson; The Eagles "Hotel California" is "Hotel Can't Afford Ya" about the events leading to the birth of Jesus; and Thin Lizzy's "The Boys Are Back In Town" becomes "The Boys Aren't Backing Down" describing the preaching that the Apostles did in Acts.  You remember, they preached boldly in spite of the threats against their lives.
This continues to be my focus and my prayer.  That I use every breath to lift God up, to give witness to Him love - manifested in this changed life - and His mercy and grace.  I just had a person tell me that their prayer, each day, has been that (the people they are praying for) which includes me, would have one good day.  I have had many good days.  And now here I am at Day Fifteen, the start of treatment cycle two, week number three.  We're enjoining the watch for fever, nausea and the onset of diarrhea.  Today my blood counts were all down except the platelets which were a little high, but nothing to be concerned about , because they are all within a normal range.  We meet with the radiation doctor tomorrow to learn what we can about that.  and this too is another evidence of God orchestrating all of this.
Remember, Paul writes the Romans (and us) that Therefore, since we have been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ. Through him we have also obtained access by faith  into this grace in which we stand, and we rejoice in hope of the glory of God. More than that, we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, and hope does not put us to shame, because God's love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us (5:1-5).  Paul continues For while we were still weak, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly. For one will scarcely die for a righteous person—though perhaps for a good person one would dare even to die— but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Since, therefore, we have now been justified by his blood, much more shall we be saved by him from the wrath of God. For if while we were enemies we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, now that we are reconciled, shall we be saved by his life. More than that, we also rejoice in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have now received reconciliation (5:6-11).
So, "Bob is Back In Town" may not even be close to a great song title, but it is an encouragement.  An encouragement that "This Boy Isn't Backing Down" because He has given me new life, even in this circumstance that sometimes brings fear, frustration, doubt, and some pretty hard self-discussions.  He loved me, gave Himself for me, that I would have eternal life as His own.  reminds me of another Apologetix song:  "We're More Than Champions (Queen's "We Are The Champions") taken from Romans 8:37.
Thank you to all of you who pray and shower us with your love.
Zimmer Chicken Celebre c'est bon!

1 comment:

  1. How do you do it?! Rather, I should say I know how you do the writings and the simple answer is you are growing
    and sharing your love of the Good News and I am truly thankful for you and for your life. This is like an end to a great day when I read what you have written but I am quick to honor the One who holds you in His hands.
    Blessings and peace!
    J2911-13

    ReplyDelete